Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blue skies, palm trees and learning curves

I landed in sunny Montevideo yesterday around lunch time.  I knew I was in a different location when I could strip off my sweater outside of the airport and feel the warm rays hit my skin.   The palm trees surrounding the airport parking lot seemed to be waving their greeting as the gentle breeze played with their fronds.  I never cease to be amazed at the possibilities of modern transportation - Tuesday I woke up in cold Pennsylvania, Wednesday I climbed off a plane in South America!  

I visited Uruguay for two weeks in August 2011 - a chance to explore the possibility of serving here long term.  The experience gave me the affirmation I was seeking - yes, God seemed to be inviting me to join the work of His Kingdom in this location.  The past 1 1/2 years have been full of preparation in anticipation for this moment!


And now I'm here - not as a tourist just passing through but as someone who will have the privilege of calling this place "home."  God, help to make this place my home...


For now, I'm trying to take in as much as I can but reminding myself that adjustment takes time and the learning curve is steep!  With this in mind, I'm learning:

  • where the supermarket is and discovering what is/isn't available there. 
  • the layout of the neighborhood where I'm currently living and I'm looking forward to long walks that will help me get oriented.
  • that my Spanish is slowly rising to the surface but some time of intense study will prove helpful.
  • that people are friendly and humility is a good thing.
  • that God has been here long before me and is with me in each moment of each day.
That last point is important... may I sense the many things that God is doing here and respond to His invitation to join Him in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment