Thursday, February 21, 2013

Paperwork and Prayer

This morning I had three different gov't offices to visit in order to pick up two documents and then get apostilles (official stamps)  on both of them. The documents will be used in my application for residency once I land in Uruguay.

I arrived at the first location, the State Police Headquarters just outside of Harrisburg, at 9:30 a.m. I needed a notarized Criminal Record Report and the document was waiting for me at the counter by the visitor's entrance, just as arranged earlier in the week. I was so pleased!!

So I drove downtown to the Dept. of Vital Records office which is close to the capitol complex. My birth certificate was also waiting for me at the counter (I had handed in the request form the previous week). No glitches!!

And I was off - walking a few blocks to the State Dept. office adjacent to the Capitol building. The chilly wind quickened my steps as I rushed past imposing buildings. I went through security control as I entered the building and then made my way to the second floor office that takes care of placing apostilles on official documents for use in foreign countries. They took my Criminal Record report and my Birth Certificate, gave me a buzzer apparatus and told me to wait in the seating area in the hall - they'd buzz me when the papers were ready. Not more than 15 minutes later my buzzer went off and I collected my documents. Wow!

I walked back to the parking garage and headed out of Harrisburg almost exactly 45 minutes after I had arrived at the State Police Headquarters!! The paperwork was completed in 45 minutes. Unreal!!  I had been prepared for potential problems and encountered none.  So grateful!

On a side note, as I walked around the Pennsylvania State government complex, I found myself wondering what kind of issues were being discussed and what form of deals were being made behind these walls?  While I have a deep respect for the public's need to be "governed", I'm often saddened by our government's current state of affairs.  And so I found myself spontaneously bursting into prayer for those in power...  That they would be moved to act justly...  That they would come to love righteousness...  That they would not be controlled by the tyranny of manipulation...  

I confess that I don't pray for government officials very often.  Today's experience created a new sense of calling --  if I don't pray for our government, who will?  And, am I willing to do so on a regular basis?  

Anyone want to join me?




No comments:

Post a Comment